Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Monday, June 20, 2016

European Championship quiz: who said it?

Put a name to these memorable quotes from European Championship tournaments down the years "Dennis [Bergkamp] is such a nice man, such a tremendous gentleman, with such a lovely family - it's going to be very hard for me to kick him." David Platt Tony Adams Paul Ince Stuart Pearce "I don't give a shit who wins it now, I'm going on holiday." Andrey Arshavin on Euro 2008 Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Euro 2012 Paul Gascoigne on Euro 96 Cristiano Ronaldo on Euro 2008 "He was screaming like a girl … and you can tell him that as well." Wayne Rooney on Cristiano Ronaldo at Euro 2004 Steven Gerrard on Didi Hamann at Euro 2000 Andy Caroll on Zlatan Ibrahimovic at Euro 2012 Stuart McCall on Paul Gascoine at Euro 96 "I chose the penalty because I saw and realised it was the easiest and simplest recipe for scoring a goal. It is a simple recipe.” Andrea Pirlo at Euro 2012 Kim Christofte at Euro 92 Antonín Panenka at Euro 76 Pavel Nedved at Euro 96 "Everyone is still talking about that goal in the 1988 final – I think it was a bit lucky.” Ruud Gullit on Marco van Basten's volley Edgar Davids on Marco van Basten's volley Rafael van der Vaart on Marco van Basten's volley Mark van Bommel on Marco van Basten's volley “When I walk around people salute me and now I must be the only person allowed to drive in the bus lanes.” Mario Balotelli after his goal against Germany in Euro 2012 Coach Otto Rehhagel after Greece won Euro 2004 John Jensen after Denmark won Euro 92 Xavi after Spain won Euro 2008 “I don’t remember anyone making such an impact on a tournament since Pele in the 1958 World Cup in Sweden.” Vicente Del Bosque on Xavi at Euro 2008 Pele on Giorgos Karagounis at Euro 2004 Sven-Goran Eriksson on Wayne Rooney at Euro 2004 Kevin Keegan on Steven Gerrard at Euro 2000 “After having sex the night before a match I lose all feelings in my feet. I’m totally empty. Instead, I watch erotic movies. That doesn’t affect my power.” Mario Balotelli at Euro 2012 Karl-Heinz Rumenigge at Euro 80 Sven-Göran Eriksson at Euro 2004 Freddie Ljungberg at Euro 2000 "I know there are far more important things in life than football, but if you cut me open and had a look inside right now it couldn’t be a pretty sight. I don’t know if I can sink any lower.” Gareth Southgate after his Euro 96 penalty miss against Germany Goalkeeper Petr Kouba after conceding the golden goal that led to Czech Republic losing the Euro 96 final against Germany Gary McAllister on his Euro 96 penalty miss against England Terry Venables after England's semi-final defeat by Germany at Euro 96 “I’m not strong, nor fast, nor skilful. I’m a player from the street. Without my team-mates, without space, I am nothing.” Andrea Pirlo at Euro 2008 Xavi at Euro 2012 Andrés Iniesta at Euro 2008 Johan Cruyff at Euro 76 Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com