Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Thursday, July 21, 2022

‘It’s a feeling I’ve been chasing ever since’: Edinburgh festival debuts

Alan Cumming did a gig for a cat, Tiff Stevenson was drowned out by samba and some performers even made a profit … fringe veterans discuss their first time and how the festival has changed It was when I still had a fringe of my own: 1974 seems like yesterday, or a date from the ancient history books, depending on how old you are yourself. I was a student and lucky to be there at all. For years Cambridge University had sent a group of actors to do a couple of serious plays plus the Footlights revue. A financial disaster in 73 meant the whole thing was called off in 74. But at the last minute we found a way of subletting a stage to put on just the revue. Would I have made the cut if they needed someone to do justice to a kitchen sink drama and Aristophanes in the original Greek? Probably not. But nearly 50 years later I am still coming back for more. And I haven’t done a straight play yet. • Clive Anderson’s My Seven Wonders is at Assembly George Square Studios, 6-28 August Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com