Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Friday, July 2, 2021

John Theocharis and the tale of Mikis Theodorakis’s tapes

PETER FRAENKEL pays tribute to the late BBC radio drama producer John Theocharis I was the BBC’s Greek programme organiser when the BBC radio drama producer John Theocharis, who died earlier this year, applied to us for a job, having graduated from Rada. We had no vacancy and could only offer him some freelance work. We immediately saw that this was a man of great talent. He got the first vacancy that arose. Born in Alexandria, he spoke Greek, French, Italian, English etc. I soon came to the conclusion that our little Greek service did not give him the opportunities he deserved. I spoke to Martin Esslin, then head of BBC drama – a personal friend. “Oh,” sighed Martin, “I get offered half a dozen geniuses every week.” At my third attempt, Martin agreed to give “Theo” a brief trial. And only moments later Theo was in a top job in BBC domestic radio. I had, however, lost my best Greek broadcaster! Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com