Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Minister of Foreign Affairs Nikos Dendias’ statement following his meeting in Lisbon with the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Portugal (13.01.2021)

«Thank you so much, senor Ministro. [A few words in Portuguese] I am sorry that’s as far as I can go in Portuguese.I would like first of all to congratulate you and Portugal on assuming the Presidency of the European Union Council for the next 6 months. And it’s clear that you have a very challenging task ahead of you, but I am so confident that you will do an excellent job. And if I may say, Greece will fully support your efforts. We were for many years, the two European Union members – Greece and Portugal – that were further apart geographically: one on the eastern edge, other on the western edge of Europe. But we are both southern countries, we joined in the 80s following a period of political instability for both of us, we are similar to the sense of size, we have many things in common.My visit today comes just two days after Prime Minister Mitsotakis was here, who met his counterpart Prime Ministe Antonio Costa. The focus of our discussions with my dear friend Augusto today was on several issues. First of all, the priorities of the Portuguese Presidency, the developments in Eastern Mediterranean, migration, the European Union enlargement process.I was briefed extensively by the Minister on the priorities of the Presidency. I underlined during our meeting that in this regard Greece fully supports the key issues that will be addressed in this context. Enhancing the transatlantic relations with the US, we would help in any way on this regard. Hosting a summit between EU and India, we remain absolutely convinced that we should enhance our relationship with this emerging world power, this big democracy. I am looking forward also to meeting with my Indian counterpart as soon as conditions will allow. We had a meeting in Athens which had to be canceled because of COVID. And of course, we look very much forward to the European Union-Africa Summit.  We seek to enhance the relations with the African continent. I have invested in this endeavor and I will continue to do so. And Portugal’s role, which has special ties with Africa, especially with the lusophone countries, can be of pivotal importance. Regarding the Eastern Mediterranean, I had the opportunity to inform Minister Santos Silva on the latest developments. I underlined that despite the relative calm on the past few weeks the situation remains very volatile. I stressed that Greece is always ready and willing to engage in a constructive dialogue with Turkey, but of course on the basis of International Law, and in order to discuss that single issue that needs to be addressed, the delimitation of Exclusive Economic Zone and the continental shelf in the Aegean and the Eastern Mediterranean. In the spirit of the above, following an invitation by the Turkish side, it has been agreed that we are going to have the next round of the exploratory talks in Istanbul on the 25th of January. In this context, let me underline that the December 2020 European Council conclusions called not just for a sustained de-escalation for the resumption of these exploratory talks, but also for a smooth continuation. So, we look forward to a constructive attitude from Turkey and to the abstention from any provocation from their side.With my colleague we addressed migration thoroughly. I have to express my thanks as Greece for Portugal’s support in this endeavor. By accepting the relocation of refugees on its territory Portugal has given a great example, and also by contributing to the protection of the European Union’s external borders. Greece, as an European Union frontline state is calling for an equitable migration and asylum pact that will ensure a just and fair sharing of the burden among our family, the European Union member states. Last but not least, I discussed with my Portuguese counterpart the issue of the European Union enlargement process. The countries of the Western Balkans are looking towards Europe and they are undertaking reforms in order to be able to join our European family. Greece’s position is that we should keep the door open and encourage them, as much as we can, in this path. Failure to do so will not only endanger the reforms, but will endanger the European experiment in its totality. My dear colleague, muito obrigado, thank you so much for hosting me today.»


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.mfa.gr