Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Monday, August 24, 2020

My streaming gem: why you should watch Atlantics

Continuing our series of writers highlighting underappreciated gems is a recommendation for an unusual supernatural romance When Mati Diop’s Atlantics was released on Netflix last November, I added it to my watchlist and bided my time, saving it for best – like a nice dress hanging in the wardrobe for a special occasion. I was waiting for that magical do nothing evening when the baby went to bed early and I didn’t feel knackered enough to fall asleep brushing my teeth. The night never came – lockdown did instead – and it wasn’t till one morning in June that I pressed play and was completely undone by Diop’s film, a ghostly love story, whodunnit and Greek tragedy rolled into one, with a spontaneously combusting wedding bed and beautiful zombie women (“Dig our graves. Dig with your hands till they bleed”). It’s haunting, powerful and so female. Related: My streaming gem: why you should watch Wild Combination Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com