Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Monday, July 27, 2020

Colour blind adoption: 'One of my first clear memories as a child is knowing I looked different'

Growing up, Sam Douglas was treated the same as her white sister – but it was not until she met her birth mother that she finally felt she belonged somewhere I was born in Australia in the early 60s. My mother, a Greek woman, was only 18 years old, unmarried and pregnant to a Chinese man. It was hugely frowned upon, so she was forced to give me up for adoption. I was taken from her immediately. She wasn’t allowed to see me, or hold me. In those days most people wanted a baby that looked like them, so I sat in the hospital waiting for people who were open to adopting a coloured child. I was adopted at three months old in January 1964. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com