Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Opera director Joe Hill-Gibbins: How I got an Oepidus complex

The ancient myth speaks to us still, and, through the prism of Mark-Anthony Turnage’s hard-hitting opera Greek, the director of a new production found insights, strange beauty and football chants ‘Fancy my Mum? I’d rather go down on Hitler!” So says Eddy, the hero of Greek, Mark-Anthony Turnage’s opera that shifts the story of Oedipus from ancient Greece to contemporary north London. He’s reacting to a fortune-teller, who says he’ll one day kill his dad and have a “bunk-up with his mum”. No wonder he’s not best pleased. When I was first approached to direct Turnage and Steven Berkoff’s opera my reaction was along the same lines. “Do I harbour perverse feelings for my mother?” I asked myself. I don’t _think_ so. I’ve always thought of myself as more of a “daddy issues” kind of a guy. So how could I relate to this opera? I felt Oedipus was not the myth for me. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com