Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Friday, October 2, 2015

Why the phrase ‘first world problem’ is condescending to everyone

It’s not just a comical apology for trivial moaning and an enjoyable internet meme – there’s also something darker going on So there I was, bashing out a hot take on my MacBook Air on a sunny terrace, when I took a sip of my takeaway coffee and my heart sank. The barista had put milk in it. That ruined my whole morning. What a terrible world. But I know, right? First world problem! The phrase “first world problem” is these days used as a comical apology for moaning about trivia. It is also an enjoyable internet meme, with a dedicated subreddit. (I particularly liked “The Wi-Fi at the luxury Greek villa my wife and I are staying at only supports 4 devices at a time”, and the rather subtle: “I want to order pizza, but it is too early and I don’t want to be judged by my doorman.”) But why do we speak of “first world problems”, exactly, and what might we unintentionally mean when we do? Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com