Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Friday, December 12, 2014

If I were queen for the day I would send children into the wilderness

Parents, be ready to pack your children off with just a kiss and a bag of essentials – and mobile phones are not allowedIf I were queen, I would send schoolchildren off into the wilds. They need to break out of our cosy world of convenience and instant access to digital everything, and get active. I imagine that it would be tough to fit in more time in the national curriculum for sport, activity and expeditions. But I’m queen, right? So my rules apply.I would point sceptics to the original meaning of the word “school”. It comes from the Greek word schole, which doesn’t mean “years sitting in enclosed spaces preparing for exams”. It means “leisure”: the time people spend on finding out new things, having the freedom to get out and learn about themselves. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com