Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Jack Monroes marrow gratin recipe

Dads marrow started as a side dish for a Sunday roast, but Ive turned it into a hearty gratin, with a nod to his Greek rootsEvery Sunday in my childhood, my parents, brother and whatever assortment of foster children were living with us at the time, would sit down in the middle of the afternoon to enjoy a proper roast dinner. More often than not it was chicken, usually accompanied by potatoes, greens, carrots and gravy. And then, somewhere in the autumn, everything would get shoved along to make room for a large dollop of my dads marrow, softened with onion in oil (Dad specifies olive, I defiantly use groundnut) and seasoning. Ive enjoyed it over the years as a side, but now Ive made it into a gratin for a more substantial dish. He is cross with me for tinkering with it, but Ive mollified him by paying homage to his Greek roots with orzo and halloumi in the mix. I think he loves it really. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com