Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bunnies to Board Members: When Girls Join Boys' Clubs

I recently found myself diving from a stage at 1:00 am into a throng of dancing, cheering, mostly male entrepreneurs, hoping they would collectively catch me. Which they did! It reminded me of those trust-building exercises you do on corporate retreats, where you fall backwards and trust the person behind you will break your fall.  The significance of my dive, or leap - besides confirming I probably drank too much ouzo (the party took place in Athens, Greece) - was confirmation of how far I had come since I first joined this Entrepreneurs' Organization three years ago. Back then, I felt like a distant cousin popping in on a rowdy family reunion. I knew I wanted to join the Entrepreneurs' Organization (known as EO) because I too wanted to learn the secrets of running a successful business, but I certainly didn't feel like I was "one of them." Now I serve in a leadership position, and owe much of my success to mentors and friends I met in EO, I count many as good buddies, recruit women to join, and choose to spend much of my time when not being CEO/wife/mother with this still mainly male peer group. How did I go from Outsider to Stage Diver in a relatively short time? And what can companies, organizations, and venture capital/angel investors learn from women like me, as they try to make a place for more women in top leadership positions?

READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.forbes.com