Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Living inside the box: my life with agoraphobia

As a student, Graham Caveney suffered a severe panic attack while on a coach trip, a terrifying event that changed his life. He writes about the daily challenges of living with a fear of open spaces Thirty-plus years we’ve been together and still I don’t know you. Intimate stranger, phantom limb, as unreachable as you are familiar. You have sculpted my desires, my ambitions, been a mockery of the free will I was always told I had. I cannot think without you. You and me baby; we’re a neurotic two-step. Agoraphobia. I want to write the word in the middle of the page, leave it stranded, surrounded with nothing but icy white space. My attempt at revenge. From the Greek _agora_ meaning “marketplace”, _phobos_ meaning “fear”. The translation doesn’t quite cut it. I balk at its limitations. An insufficient word for a condition of insufficiency. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com