Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Thursday, March 5, 2020

'I should have grown out of this': how pop fandom shaped us

As Pete Paphides publishes a memoir of his life in pop, our writers reflect on the childhood musical loves that made them My mum and dad were Greek, but growing up in Birmingham in the 1970s, I needed something else to tell me what I was and, more to the point, what I could be. While my parents were in our shop helping meet the fish and chip needs of the nearby streets, Top of the Pops came to my aid. When I grew up I wanted to be like Paul McCartney in the Mull of Kintyre video, married to a groovy soulmate, hosting fire-lit singalongs in our bucolic idyll. The romantic idealism of the Korgis’ If I Had You and Darts’ Duke of Earl presented me with possible futures that I never relinquished. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com