Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Friday, November 29, 2019

How I helped a Benin bronze get back home

After recognising a sinister Latin inscription on the sculpture in Jesus College, Cambridge, I began a campaign to return it I remember seeing the gold plaque in Latin on the stand of the _okukor_ – a bronze sculpture of a cockerel – in the dining hall when I started at Jesus College, Cambridge, in 2013. I was a classics student at the time, and had secured a place on the four-year classics degree that enabled students from more diverse backgrounds to learn Latin and Greek; I was one of very few black classicists at Cambridge. As my language skills developed, I noticed the Latin on the sculpture’s plaque used the verb _rapere_ (“to seize”), instead of _dare_ (“to give”) – suggesting it did not arrive at the college in a positive way. As I began to investigate, I learned of its bloody history and, as somebody of Jamaican descent, my interest in returning the _okukor_ to its rightful home was immediately piqued. Related: Bronze cockerel to be returned to Nigeria by Cambridge college Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com