Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Friday, November 10, 2017

Why Marx and Plato don’t make my philosophers’ fantasy football team

The classical Greek idea of learning how to live a good life by studying ideas is one we should adopt – but only if we put the right thinkers on the curriculum I was pleasantly taken aback recently when my teenage daughter came home from her (state) school telling me that she had just had an interesting lesson on Nietzsche and Kierkegaard. At her age, I had neither heard of these philosophers nor been able to spell their names. Philosophy is now often disguised under the rubric of “religious studies”. Despite this, I think its adoption is an immensely positive step. Organisations such as The Philosophy Foundation and Philosophy4Children are working to push philosophy further up the educational agenda. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com