Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Monday, July 10, 2017

Black beauty will be political until the day it is seen as normal

As a new MP I balked at wearing my hair naturally in parliament. Now I’m launching the Black Fashion and Beauty Awards there, as we still have so far to go • Chi Onwurah is the Labour MP for Newcastle Central “Andromeda, supposedly the most beautiful woman in the world, was however from Nubia and therefore black.” My memory of this “however” in a Greek mythology textbook, it has haunted me – through my adolescence, and long into adulthood – with its assertion, both explicit and implicit, of the contradiction between being black and being beautiful. Related: Why black models are rarely in fashion | Hadley Freeman Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com