Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Peace in Cyprus is possible. We Cypriots just have to decide to want it

I’m from North Cyprus, and my country’s unresolved conflict has shaped my life. But current peace talks have the best chance of success we’ve yet seen “Are you from Greek Cyprus or Turkish Cyprus?” This a question that I frequently get asked in the UK. Despite the misconceptions, I oddly relish the one or two things known about Cyprus, other than halloumi/hellim cheese and Ayia Napa. When I say “I am from the north”, usually people are puzzled and more questions follow: “Are you Turkish citizens there?”, “Do you hold an EU passport?”, “How come?”, “Do Greeks and Turks still hate each other?” These conversations make me realise how my country’s unresolved conflict diffuses into my own life and defines who I am. Related: In Nicosia, the world’s last divided capital, a spirit of reconciliation is stirring across the fence Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com