Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Friday, January 6, 2017

My swimming odyssey: ‘It felt like a last chance to prove what I was capable of’

It seemed like the ultimate challenge: a 5km swim between Greek islands. But would it help me deal with a trauma to come? I had always thought I could swim. It may have been because I could run. It may have been because I wanted to swim. Or because I only ever did 10 minutes of breaststroke at a time, or splashed off a warm beach. But I really couldn’t swim. It took 12 months of lessons and practice before I was able to swim in open water, beyond the pool or my home beach in Brighton. Then I could let myself believe I was up to taking on a challenge I had been dreaming of for more than a year: I wanted to swim in the Greek waters of the Ionian Sea. Specifically, I wanted to swim to Ithaca, the island home of Greek hero Odysseus. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com