Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Disappearing support for return of Parthenon marbles

International support would certainly strengthen Greece’s hand in seeking the return of the Parthenon marbles (Greece could turn to UN in battle for Parthenon marbles, 9 May). But how much support would they get? When I was British ambassador in Greece 20 years ago I was asked by a Greek MEP to forward a letter signed by a number of MEPs to John Major, then prime minister, asking for the return of the marbles. I said I was happy to do so, and suggested that the letter would carry more weight if it confirmed that the non-Greek MEPs who signed were at the same time lobbying their own governments to return any Parthenon marbles held in their national museums. My friend agreed that was a good idea and took back the letter. I never saw it again. OLIVER MILES _Oxford _ Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com