Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Flirting with Ava Gardner

The night I was mistaken for a bullfighter by one of Hollywood’s most beautiful stars It was 1958. I was 20 years old and playing on the tennis circuit. I was good, or at least good for Greece, and it was a charmed life. I played in the Caribbean and along the Riviera, but my favourite tournament was in Barcelona. I liked the surface and played well there. Tennis in those days was a lot like society. The top players would warm up with the “rabbits”, as they referred to us – like aristocrats talking to gamekeepers – while the middle-ranking players stuck to each other, like the middle classes. All the players were very friendly to each other – there was none of the modern crap with coaches and everyone sticking to their own teams all the time. Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com