Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Sunday, November 8, 2015

‘The noise and chaos is deafening; humanity is laid bare on the shores of Europe’

Photographer Giles Duley is on the Greek island of Lesbos where every day thousands of refugees are landing, to be told there is nowhere they can stay. He introduces a new series of images documenting the plight of the world’s displaced people • Cemetery of souls: the refugee crisis on Lesbos – in pictures In mid-October I arrive in Skala Sikamineas on the north coast of the Greek island of Lesbos. I am here as part of a long-term project for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), documenting the refugee crisis across Europe and the Middle East. For more than a decade I have documented the effects of conflict and humanitarian disaster across the world, and much of that work has been in the countries from which these people now flee. From Afghanistan to South Sudan, in the past years I have seen growing instability across the globe. I understand the fear that is driving people to leave their homes. I thought I had seen it all, but I have never been so overwhelmed as by the human drama unfolding on the beaches of Lesbos. In its sheer scale, it is hard to comprehend; the lack of response impossible to explain or excuse. Related: Giles Duley: 'I lost three limbs in Afghanistan, but had to go back … ' Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com