Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Friday, August 21, 2015

After taking this picture, I cared more about the people than the image

Seeing a Syrian family arrive on the Greek island of Kos overwhelmed me, even as a professional photographer. The photo I took captured a father’s anguishThe boat came at dawn: a flimsy rubber raft made for four people but crammed with 12. Under the pressure of their weight, it lost air and water came in. It wouldn’t have been much longer before it sank.As on the previous two mornings, I had been waiting for migrants arriving on the Greek island of Kos from nearby Turkey. At about dawn, the boats started arriving. As a freelance photographer, I had been assigned by the New York Times to produce visuals for a story on the migrant crisis. This boat was not much different from the many others that had come over in the last few weeks. But the reaction this particular image triggered was beyond my wildest imagination. Related: This poignant photo captures the harsh reality of life for thousands of migrants The reaction this particular image triggered was beyond my wildest imagination Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com