Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Sunday, July 12, 2015

'Our children will grow up in a destroyed country' – Greeks fear for the future

Amid poverty and anger, many have put life on hold while Europe’s leaders decide whether to offer the bailout Greece needs to stay in the euroIn the searing heat of a summer Sunday, Greece waited in resignation for finance ministers half a continent away to decide on a rescue package most thought would bring more humiliation for themselves and their country.“I am old and uneducated but I know that when I was a kid I was proud to say I am Greek. I want the same thing for future generations,” said Charalabos Nikolaou, a 65-year-old selling snacks at a beach just outside the city. “But now the Europeans treat us like animals and our children will grow up in a destroyed country as prisoners, not citizens.”Its a difficult situation. I want to stay in the euro but with jobs for all Greeks Related: Greeks resigned to a hard, bitter future whatever deal is reached with Europe Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com