Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Greek finance minister hints at strained EU relations: 'I welcome their hatred'

Yanis Varoufakis quotes Franklin D Roosevelt in a statement that seems to confirm he received a dressing-down from eurozone ministers on FridayThe gulf between Greece and its creditors widened yet further on Sunday with the crisis-hit country’s finance minister brazenly tweeting that he has become a target of hate.Upping the ante in what has increasingly become a war of nerves, Yanis Varoufakis took on his opponents by making use of one of Franklin D Roosevelt’s most memorable lines. “FDR, 1936: ‘they are unanimous in their hate for me; and I welcome their hatred’. A quotation close to my heart (& reality) these days,” he wrote.FDR, 1936: "They are unanimous in their hate for me; and I welcome their hatred." A quotation close to my heart (& reality) these daysThe Greek government may want to take [negotiations] to the wire, but does it know where the wire is? Related: What happens if Greece can’t pay its debts? Continue reading...


READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com