Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Why Welsh should be taught in British schools

Regardless of what happens in the Scottish independence referendum, its time to end the English domination of Wales and Scotland

Last weekend I took part in a festival called Gwyl Arall in my home in north Wales, where I gave a talk in Welsh (well actually, half Welsh the organisers were kind enough to make allowances for my deteriorating skills). When I told friends in England what I was doing, many responded as though Id just announced I was travelling to the Acropolis to deliver a sermon in ancient Greek. People still speak Welsh? is a common refrain all Cymrys living in England are accustomed to hearing.

Welsh evolved from Brittonic (meaning indigenous Breton, as opposed to Anglo-Saxon), and until the Romans came along, it was spoken in England too. The Welsh language is not a backwards, insignificant thing; it is a fundamental part of Britains collective history. I find it absurd that so few English people realise it is still spoken in families and communities across Wales, as part of a Brittonic culture which has survived through the ages. As part of my childhood, I learned traditional Welsh dance (downsio gwerin), recited Welsh poetry and sang Cerdd Dant (a type of vocal and harp music) during Eisteddfodau (the Welsh culture festival). I joined the Urdd (the Welsh League of Youth); read the Mabinogion (a collection of Welsh mythological stories) in school; and I spoke Welsh so fluently I barely noticed when people switched from English to Welsh. I did all these things as part of an indigenous Celtic culture Ive inherited by being born in Wales a culture that isnt unique to my small and beautiful corner of the country, but at one time reached across Britain and has helped shape it.

Continue reading...

READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com