Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Thursday, May 8, 2014

I'll be voting Green in the European elections and here's why

Immigration is just the starting point for why I'm backing a party with eminently sensible and progressive policies

Whenever I see the turnout for European and local elections, my heart sinks. It peaked at 38.5% in 2004. Last time in 2009 it was 34.7%. I find myself unable to reconcile so many people perpetually complaining about the EU and the democratic deficit which exists in its institutions, with two-thirds of the population failing to register their political preference. Mixed in with that is a cultural difference. Having been born in Greece, four years into a crushing junta, I grew up to perceive democracy as precious and voting as a civic responsibility, rather than an optional perk.

There is another important factor, however. These are the only elections in which I am allowed to vote. As a non-British European, I get no say in the general election, along with the many millions of Europeans (including 2 million Britons) who chose to make a life for themselves somewhere other than the country of their birth. So, the European and local elections have come to mean a great deal to me.

Continue reading...

READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.theguardian.com