Pages

Welcome, 77 artists, 40 different points of Attica welcomes you by singing Erotokritos an epic romance written at 1713 by Vitsentzos Kornaros

Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Double Crocs Summer in Greece

Many of those who saw me in Greece this summer know that I spent the virtually entire time there ? almost eight weeks ? with only one pair of shoes: Crocs, to be exact. My determination not to overpack was rooted in lessons learned from previous trips ? such as in 2005, when I foolishly packed a suit because of a wedding that I was to attend. Turns out, the only other people wearing suits were the groom, and the bride?s father. Also in past years, I packed pairs of shoes that I wedged in nooks and crannies of my suitcase and wound up not even touching until I returned home! Typically, I travel to Greece in the summertime, and for pleasure. On a cool day, the temperature is in the 90s (Fahrenheit). Why on earth would I want to be clad in shoes, socks, and long pants? Even the judges in Greek courtrooms, who are more ?dressed up? than the lawyers, typically wear short-sleeve shirts (almost always royal blue, for some reason) with the collars unbuttoned and ties loosely draped around their necks.

READ THE ORIGINAL POST AT www.thenationalherald.com